expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday 20 August 2013

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen


Book: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Publication Date: Out now

It was only a couple of months ago that I reviewed Jessica Sorensen’s previous novel, The Secret of Ella and Micha, and couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about. However, when I saw Sorensen’s first book in a new, but not unfamiliar, series, I thought, ‘Why not?’ After all, it wasn’t Sorensen’s writing I found lacking, but the plot. Having just finished The Coinsidence of Callie and Kayden I’m very pleased to be able to go back on my original opinion and say that this was a brilliant book!

As with The Secret of Ella and Micha, the main characters have shared a personal moment in the past; this time Callie – the school weirdo, with her black eyeliner and baggy clothes – comes across Kayden (the ‘cool guy’) being beaten by his father at his end of school party. She rescues him, but leaves for college shortly after. Kayden finds it hard to forget the girl that saved him, and he feels he owes her at least a ‘thank you’ for standing up to his father, something he has never been brave enough to do himself. But it’s not long before he’s finally free of his home and away at college; independent and without the stress of his home-life, Kayden can finally be himself.

It just so happens that Callie and Kayden are at the same college. They keep bumping into each other, and in the end just take a chance and hang out. But things aren’t that simple; Callie has many issues from her own difficult past that haunt her. She isn’t comfortable to accept the attention that Kayden suddenly gives her, and her often feels overwhelmed. But Kayden isn’t finding his feelings for Callie easy to handle either. As they grow closer, the problems they keep hidden become harder to hide. Will they be strong enough to last?

Sorensen’s books are marketed for ‘new adults’, an audience (17+) I don’t find many books are market specifically for. However, the issues in this book are very ‘adult’ i.e. not ideal for a young adults or children to read about. I won’t go into detail because we slowly learn of Callie and Kayden’s problems through the book, but they are quite hard hitting.

The novel is well written, not rushed or half-hearted. All the characters are well thought out and real. By real, I mean they are dealing with real life situations in a realistic way. It makes you think, ‘What would I do if that happened to me? How would I cope?’ The secondary characters, Callie’s best-friend Seth and Kayden’s pal Luke, are also likeable and bring humor and feeling to the story.

Sorensen has plans to expand both this and the Secrets series into trilogies. I am very pleased to find out that Luke from this series is also getting his own book. (Yay!) He’s an extremely intriguing character. The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden ends on a tense cliffhanger, but I’m afraid we’ll just have to wait until the second book is released in February 2014. I don’t think I can wait that long!


It just shows what giving a writer a second chance can do for you! I couldn’t recommend this series enough now; full of emotion, it grabs your attention and gets you involved, whether you want to be or not!

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment